Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fish Finder Install

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:16pm

    Got the fish finder installed. I went with the Humminbird 386ci combo from ACK since it came with the scupper transducer for OK Kayaks.


    Install was pretty straight forward. I went with the Ram mount and plan to install a ball at the opposite end in case I want it a bit closer. I may just go with an additional "bone" to extend it out.




    The threaded section of the transducer does not extend up far enough on the Predator so I slipped PVC over it and put an elbow over that to hold it all in place. I painted the elbow to match the yak so it did not stand out so much. I got the PVC idea from a video on YouTube by John Oast. The only difference was. he used a T junction where I used the elbow. I did not drill any holes for the cable because I wanted to be able to pop the mount off and throw it in the hatch.


Packed away for storage .... (BTW .. this is not my stash, it has the fish finder in it to protect it from scratches etc ;) )

The transducer is a little loose, as in it turns side to side a bit. I may try to tighten this up. I do not want to glue any thing or make it permanent so I will have to come up with something. It may not affect anything.

EDIT: I have since changed how the wires route. I moved them to come up through the hatch and waterproofed. This makes it permanent but allows for a watertight seal on the hatch lid.

Not much else left to do! I do want to get a couple of rocket launchers for the rear. If I decide I want a couple holders at the bow, I have two Driftmasters I had on my canoe I may use. I still need to add a fuse in line for the power to the FF. Oh, I also got in the well nuts to finish up the pulley mounts for the anchor trolley.

EDIT: I have added a small fuse block as well as a ground block under the hatch for electronic hookups.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment