Thursday, September 14, 2017

More Kayak Trailer Work.

    Well, my annual Bear Island trip is coming up in October and I wanted to take the smaller trailer to haul my kayak.  My bud in NC also likes for me to haul his canoe so I decided to add an upper level to make this happen.



    Basically, I just notched the top lip of the trailer and welded in the 1-inch uprights. I also welded them at the bottom. Once those were in place I welded in 3/4-inch cross bars. I bought the cross bars at a different store and I thought I picked up the same size. I think they will work fine though. I may weld some support on if it gives me trouble. Most kayaks and canoes rarely break the 100-pound mark so this should work since that weight will be spread out to 4 locations on the bars.



    Once it was all together I primed and painted the whole set up. I also ordered tube caps for the 4 uprights to smooth off the top as well as prevent rain from getting in the tubes.



    I can't wait to see how it does on the trip up to NC. If it works out well I may decide not to sell it after all. As of now, it's still for sale (after I'm back from NC :)) )


No comments:

Post a Comment