Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Finished up the Whaler Trailer

    I finished up the trailer just in time to get the rest of my packing done. I installed the side markers and ran the new wires. I had to move my ground to the main part of the trailer. I had it connected near the coupler and it did not provide enough ground since this is a tilt trailer. Also, the marker lights I purchased had bolts too short for the existing location. I think the trailer was reinforced in that area. I moved the forward a few inches and they fit fine. The leftover holes were messing with my OCD so I installed stainless eyes there for a  safety strap.








 

The trailer tongue had a sharp opening so I glued a piece of hose to help protect the wires from rubbing through. Its all about the details huh?




  I wanted to get a spare tire for the trip so rather than buy just one new tire I replaced both and will use the old ones as spares. I hope to mount the spare in this location. It will depend on the holder I can find.




    I did not have time to figure out the wiring for navigation lights so I picked up a temporary solution... AAA battery-powered lights. The front light fit in the existing bracket with a little silicon to hold it firm. The back anchor light will just clamp onto the boat when needed.  This should get me through this trip but the anchor light pole is too short and will need to be replaced with something taller to be within regulations.



Added a lock ...



    I did not trust the latch fo the tilt so I added a bracket to make sure it does not inadvertently move and le the trailer tilt while on the road. I do not see me needing to tilt in most situations but if I do I can just plan ahead remove it.

   

Added the missing roller to the back. I wanted a 12 inch or longer wheel but this was all they had locally and I did not have time to order one. It should do. You can also see screws for a transducer that was on the boat. It was loose and missing the cable so I took it off and silicone the holes and put the screws back in case I want to add one later.




 I had picked up a Navy style anchor but it was slightly large to fit in the anchor locker so I replaced that one with the folding type anchor. I hope 5 pounds will hold her. The coated chain I added should help. I also added a yellow float to the rope after taking this picture.




    Ignore the red docking rope in the picture. I decide to use some blue and white rope I had in my shed. It was all dirty and oily from storage and use so I cut it to the size I wanted and ran it through the wash. It came out like new!



    I got my fishing gear all ready to go!






    I am looking forward to putting her in the water! I have decided a name as well... "Lil Salty".

No comments:

Post a Comment