Sunday, September 8, 2019

Kayak Trailer Light Fix

The kayak trailer had a cracked housing on one of the rear lights. I had an upcoming trip so I decided to fix it so I did not run into problems during the trip.

The housing had cracked the last time I used it so as a quick fix I glued part of an old store discount card over the crack. I knew this would not hold for long but help eliminate losing the light until I could address it.



    I had a few old lights in storage so I decided the cheapest route would be to retrofit the LED lights into the old case. This was not hard to do since most of the old case matched the LED case. The only thing I needed to add was a hole to route the wires out as the old case did not have this.


 I took the LED light off and disassembled it...






Then I took the housing, I was using as the replacement, apart and cleaned it up.








I had to drill a hole to allow the wires to run out as the old set hooked up a different way...




Once I had the hole in place all that was left was to put the LED components into the cleaned-up old housing and mount it.







Once the light was buttoned up I wired it to the trailer. I used wire connectors as well as shrink wrap to keep things dry.







Just like new!



    Since I was preparing for a trip, I added new pool noodles to the top rack and put my Malone Sea Wings on so I could haul my kayak as well as my buddies canoe. I also added my new Ducks Unlimited tag to the rear.





Since I was traveling from Georgia to North Carolina, then on to Maryland, I packed the trailer bearings as well.  

 The trip had an extremely rough road to access the boat ramp and the light held up great. The passenger side turn signal quit working on the trailer but that turned out to be a damaged connection under the truck from the bad roads. I also broke a weld on the top rack that was holding the canoe.

    I left the trailer, with a temporary repair, and kayak in NC for an upcoming Bear Island trip. I will do a permanent repair once it gets back home.










No comments:

Post a Comment