Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Low Country Boil for 25-30

    


If you are planning on feeding a group of people who love shrimp, this may be the recipe for you.

    I had never made a Low Country Boil before this weekend and up until a couple of years ago had never heard of it. In Virginia, we had crab boils and seafood boils (Captains Catch). Living in Texas for a while, I was very familiar with a Crawfish Boil. so after some research, it all made sense. 
    So, for those who may stumble upon this page and do not know a Low Country Boil is basically a shrimp boil and has many different names depending on where you reside. In Georgia, the popular name is a Low Country Boil.

    I read a ton of recipes and watched numerous videos on many different variations of preparing this feast. Some as simple as letting the ingredients stand on their own, were as others had a fortitude of spices and various additions such as apples, mushrooms, and oranges.  Almost all had shrimp, sausage, and corn. One guy basically made a salt stew and added his stuff in afterward. Not sure how he ate that, maybe lots of beer?!

    If you are making a small batch it is possible to make this in your kitchen, stovetop. If like me, you are making it for a crowd, you will need large pots and propane burners. 

    As far as how much, this will vary depending on a lot of factors. How many are expected, what other foods will be on the table, how big of an appetite the guest will have. Men, woman, kids, or a mix of all will factor in how much will be consumed!

    I planned for 25-30. I did not factor in other foods although there were wings and a smoked butt as well as a couple side dishes. that being said, I had tons of leftovers. I would guess only half was eaten. So, could I have feed 50-60? Hmm, maybe. Better too much than not enough.

     Well, let's get to it.  Again, this was my first ever attempt at a Low Country Boil as well as feeding a large group (25).

What you may need or rather what I used. You do you.

1 Turkey fryer kit (pot, strainer, and burner)

1 Bayou Classic 44 Quart Pot with strainer and burner

I used the Bayou Classic as my main pot and the smaller fryer as my overflow. I split each ingredient into both pots, 1 third to the small pot and 2 thirds in the large. I will continue as if using one pot.

Leather gloves, pot holders or oven mitts.

Propane.


My two pots at camp.


Seasoning:

6oz container of Old Bay
4oz Zatarain's Condensed Shrimp & Crab boil
3 Bags Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil
1 Elephant Garlic Head (peeled and cut into chunks)
2 onions (unpeeled, loose skin knocked off and cut in half)
10 Lemons-4halved, 6 Quartered (for garnish) Approximate: I just bought a bag of lemons.
1/2 cup cider vinegar


Food:

10 pounds of red potatoes( I bought two 5 lb bags)
8 Kielbasa Sausages (I used Carolina Pride)
14 pounds Shrimp (I used 2-pound bags of headless/shell on, deveined, jumbo, frozen shrimp from Walmart).
Corn- I used a 24 count and a 9 pack of the small frozen ears from Walmart. I would do a minimum of one per person.

Instructions:

    Fill the pot a little more than half with water and bring to a boil. 

    Add... 3oz of Old Bay, Zatarain's Condensed Shrimp & Crab boil, Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil bags, Elephant Garlic, onion halves, 4 Lemons halved, and cider vinegar.  

    Mix well and let boil a minute or two.

    Then put 10 lbs Red Potatoes in your strainer, lower into the boiling water and boil 10-15 mins or close to done. I think ours took longer. You just have to keep checking them with a fork. 

    Once you feel the potatoes are close add the cut Kielbasa sausage and the corn. 

    Cook 10-15 minutes longer then mix in 14 pounds shrimp and turn off heat. Leave the lid on and the shrimp will cook without flame. Let it sit 15-20 mins.

    Pull your strainer out and let it drip a minute and then pour it all into trays or right onto newspapers on your picnic table. Be careful if using plastic table cover as it may melt!

Hint: Two people work best. One to hold the strainer by the handle and one to lift the bottom to pour. We used the handle grabber that came with the fryer,  to lift the bottom. Just run it into one of the holes near the bottom of the strainer.


Pouring the contents into trays.




Take the rest of the lemons and spread over the top, take Instagram photo and post!


Final product.


In addition to the stuff listed, I added a squeeze bottle of Land O Lakes Butter spread (for potatoes), the rest of the Old Bay and a bottle of cocktail sauce. I actually purchased 2 butter and 3 cocktail sauce but the extras were never needed. 

    I would like to take a minute and thank the guys that helped me cook and serve the Boil to our kayak group! I could not imagine doing it without help! I would also like to thank those who pitched in to help supply the food!


What it cost:

    If you do not have to buy any cooking pots and such, you should be able to make this group classic for just under 200 dollars. (2018) Note: I did not factor in the cost of the onion, vinegar or boil concentrate since I already had it on hand. Mine came in at 165.00, not including tax.

Bon Appétit 🦐

2 comments:

  1. What a feast! I lived in Savannah, Ga for four years, cooked and have eaten many boils and believe me this was the real deal! Damon, Thanks for putting this together and making a memorable Camp and Paddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your help Jim! Good times for sure!!

    ReplyDelete