Saturday, July 8, 2017

Gator Horn

   I wanted a horn on my G3 so I went with the Wolo high and low tone horns. I did not like the boat horns that were available because they were too high pitched for my liking so I went with car horns. These are the same horns I put in my 50 Fleetline.  Here are the links to the parts....

High tone horn

Low tone horn

Relay

Switch

    Cost... $40.26 as I already had wire, solder, connectors etc. From scratch you could probably do this for under 50 bucks.


    I had to google relays and study how they work so I would know how to connect it. I have used relays before but I can never remember what the numbers represent. I used this diagram...



Of course you have to make some chicken scratch to sort it all out ...



Some of the tools I used...
I bought this clamp years ago and it has been invaluable for soldering small parts.

My soldering station.

    I bolted the horns and relay together like they would be under the console to wire it up.


    Once the horn was wired up I soldered the wires to the switch. There are two for the LED light and two for power. One from a fused source and one that runs to the relay. I opted to wire the LED to come on when I push the button rather than come on and stay on when the boats main power is on. I feel the light would be distracting or blinding during night driving.


    I mounted the switch right above the engine controls for easy access. There is a one inch thick board under the fiberglass in this area so the switch was a bit short to put a nut on it. Rather than tray and countersink a larger hole from the back, I opted to used marine sealant to hold it in place. Since all you ever do is push it, this should work fine and be easy to remove if I ever need to replace it.




Here is the video....

    There she blows!




No comments:

Post a Comment